Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Another HTML5 vs Silverlight or Flash battle

.. and another one biased

I think this is one of the other over the top reactions in the HTML5 vs Silverlight or Flash or whatever you like.

A graphical despiction of a very simple html d...Image via Wikipedia

I do like Silverlight

Just to start out with one clear statement: I like Silverlight a lot and do think that many solutions can be build with it. It do has its place in my toolbox, but also has its limitations. Just saying iPad and (non WP7) smartphones.

HTML5 has its limitations as well, but also extends its reach into areas that Silverlight can not get to (iPad & (non WP7) smartphones).

It is not a simple "HTML5 vs Silverlight or Flash" battle. It's picking the right technology for the right audience.

But ..

Then onto some things that feel wrong in your article:

About the speed of implementation / ratification of standards. That has quote a bit to do with browser builders implementing rules. We all know that one browser has slowed down progress considerably in applying standards. They are still playing catch up, but with increasing speed.

The HTML5 standard is evolving at high speed and implementation across various browsers is equally swift. That in return brings the HTML5 standard quicker to a real Standard.

Some remarks about webcam / microphone control, fonts are not correct. Webcam support is in the works and webfonts are already in most browsers, although implementations differ.

Another thing to say about "standards" Silverlight is hardly a standard. Version 4 is now on the brink of release and it has only been a very short period since version 1 was out. Sounds a bit like progressive evolution, much like HTML5 is evolving.

Admittedly ..

The lack of tools for HTML5 development might a problem and I think this is an opportunity for tools developers (Adobe?) and I just wonder if Microsoft will jump into this void.

Finally, no COM support is just a blessing. HTML5 is platform independent and this can never be a veritable demand for a web based platform.

Wrapping up

At present I think Silverlight is not yet final (I have bumped my head in version 3 already and no doubt will do so in version 4) as is HTML5. I think there are use case scenarios for both and it depends on the scenario to which tool in my toolbox I will grab.

A reaction on: HTML 5 is Born Old - Quake in HTML 5 Example ( found through Google Sidewiki)

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for you comment. I will probably have to moderate it, so it could take some time to see it appear on the blog, but I am usually quite fast at that.

When I feel that you are commenting just to get some link spam to your own site,you will probably never see it appear ..