Friday, October 15, 2004

No politics please, or ...

It's hard to stay away from politics when the influence on your life is so big. This is true for national politics, but also for international important happenings like the US presidential elections.

Yes, it is coming closer and closer. There were a couple of TV debates or struggles, where each of the contestants tried to avoid making any clear statements as that might upset any of the floating voters that they need so badly. A race this close never brings out the best in both candidates or a nice clear cut view of their differing opinions. They always have be so careful with their wordings. Especially in sensitive areas, where moral issues are concerned: same sex marriage (aka partnership), stem cell research, abortus.

Then there is the obvious mud slinging which has now become statistical with number of times the other has voted against the reduction of something and the number of times he has in favor of increasing something else. To me this is pure statistics: only half the facts are given and they use to prove that the world is flat or banana shaped.

So, what's my stand on this? I guess someone would like to know that. (Or not, I don't care). Well, I always look at the United States to see things that will happen here in Europe in the next couple of years. We have seen McDonald's come over and multi-channel TV with the pleasures of daily soaps. So, it is with a worried mind that I look at the money that is involved in the elections for about any office in the US. Money seems to be the deciding factor and not the quality or ideas of the candidate. This goes for both current US Presidential candidates. Neither really has any appeal to me. Like I have read somewhere it is a choice between a candidate that pulled the US into a war and a candidate with a funny hair-do. Well, I then add to that, that it is easier to get a new hair cut then pull out of a war gracefully.

And life goes on ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for you comment. I will probably have to moderate it, so it could take some time to see it appear on the blog, but I am usually quite fast at that.

When I feel that you are commenting just to get some link spam to your own site,you will probably never see it appear ..