Friday, May 21, 2010

More amazing news from Google I/O 2010

.. and some things I want

Yesterday, 21 May 2010, there was more interesting news from the Google I/O conference. Again I wish I had been there, especially since they were given away HTC EVO to each and every conference attendee. Accept to Google employees. Too bad for Matt!

Google's Matt Cutts @ PubCon 2009Image by Andy-Beal via Flickr

I should start looking for sponsors for the Google I/O 2011 ...

Maybe the big announcements were to be expected and have been predicted, still I think these again to be great news. Also I am seriously considering getting my hands on these in the near future.

Update to Android

Release 2.2 of Android, codename Froyo, is coming. It has better performance and was demonstrated too a very enthousiastic crowd.

Improvements in various areas have been made.

  • The speed has been boosted 2 to 5 times by incorporating a Just In Time (JIT) compiler.
  • It has enterprise friendly enhancements, think Microsoft Exchange.
  • Extra APIs: Application Data Backup API and a Cloud-to-Device API.
  • Tethering and Portable Hotspot, work on your laptop in connection with your mobile phone.
  • The browser has been boosted by incorporating the V8 engine. Javascript performance boosted 2 to 3 times.

My contract for my mobile phone is coming up for renewal, but I seriously consider jumping in on the Android train. It seems to be picking up more and more speed.

Google TV

Google TV is about using that little laptop screen to watching movies and your laptop and not on that beautiful great widescreen TV you have mounted on the wall. But also about browsing the web on that TV but with limited interface.

Last year I treated my family and myself on a wonderful Philips Ambi-light flatscreen HD TV. It came with Net TV. A very limited browser on the TV. There are a load of web sites pre loaded and easily chosen, but these are all put there by Philips. The companies behind the sites are paying Philips. I, as the owner of the TV, have no way of putting my own choices up there. I can choose some favorites from the available options, but that's it.

Youtube is there but typing in a search query on the remote is going back to text again and there is no way to hookup a wireless keyboard. All in all this Net TV is just not what it should be. I may have used it ten times in ten months.

Google TV brings the web to your TV, no it makes it part of your TV experience. You watch a football match on a TV channel and can have a Twitter stream in the top right corner or something. Also it promises to make the interaction with the Web much easier. Google TV can be built in into the TV or a separate box.

As my Philips receives software updates every month or so I just hope that the learn from this announcement and improve their Net TV software in my TV. I doubt it will come close to Google TV. But I have no doubts that in teh near future we will see more and more TV sets coming with better and better internet capabilities. May it be Google TV or not.

Eventhough I do try to limit the amount of boxes in my living room the day that a Google TV box comes in could be coming sooner than later.

It's over now for this year

Luckily it's only a two day event and that means not another day of big announcements. But these are only the big announcements and more smaller announcements have been made that may have more or less impact on you depending on your occupation and interests.

Now it's time to get back to work and let the dust settle and see what other competitors will come up with and how much of these things really gonna do what they look like doing.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for you comment. I will probably have to moderate it, so it could take some time to see it appear on the blog, but I am usually quite fast at that.

When I feel that you are commenting just to get some link spam to your own site,you will probably never see it appear ..