Tuesday, November 29, 2005

ThinkFree Office Online [2]

.. free, free, set me free

There is a Dutch song from Paul de Leeuw that goes like this:

I have moved a stone
in a river on Earth,
Now I know I will not be forgotten
I delivered proof
of my existence.

All right, maybe this feeling is a bit too dramatic.

I wrote a post about ThinkFree Office online. I thought it was an interesting concept, but was bit disappointed when it appeared that I needed to download some 74MB worth of software for a Windows machine and even more for a Mac or a Linux box.

I then moved away from the site in the apprehension that ThinkFree had completely missed the boat.

Until I got a comment on my blog posting:

Roho,

I apologize for the confusion. The 74MB download was for the offline version of ThinkFree Office 3, Desktop Edition. We have since deleted this information to avoid any future problems. Thank you for pointing this out to us.

If you click on GO ThinkFree Office Online you will be able to access the application suite and document management system. We are in the process of modifying our site.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Sincerely,
Jonathan Crow
Product Marketing Manager
ThinkFree
jcrow@thinkfree.com

I quickly moved over their site and yes! I have moved a stone!

I then decided to give it a REAL test drive. I uploaded some documents and had a little spin.

You do need some patience for the Java applets to start and load (and the applets are understandably quite big)), but then you can roll.

Being Java applets, they are slower than native compiled code, but all Microsoft Office functionality you ever need is available. Online, documents are stored online. Collaboration is possible. This is absolutely something to consider for use when working around the world or around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for you comment. I will probably have to moderate it, so it could take some time to see it appear on the blog, but I am usually quite fast at that.

When I feel that you are commenting just to get some link spam to your own site,you will probably never see it appear ..